Improvisation for Leaders
Using the Practices of Improvisational Theater for Leadership Effectiveness
In order to guide others, leaders
must be able to be able to navigate effectively change themselves. Change is about pattern breaking. Today's
business world requires leaders and entrepreneurs to be open to new ideas, have flexibility in thought and action, take risks,
work within ambiguity and uncertainty and still confidently move forward – just like improvisers. Effective leaders
and improvisers both have to make spur of the moment decisions, synthesize information, make others look good, see different
perspectives, create and innovate, make relevant connections and serve the good of the whole.
learning helps people break patterns in order to influence and respond in new ways. It helps people feel comfortable
with using their own inventiveness, putting ideas out there, taking more risks and tolerating mistakes. Improv takes us out
of our habitual interactions delivers us back into the moment where more possibilities open up. We let go of controls and
the linear-only mindsets that otherwise inhibit our inner creative leadership ability. By doing the unconventional, we experience
a insights and ideas we would not otherwise access.
Who should attend
Managers, Entrepreneurs, Intrapreneurs, Changemakers, Directors, Project managers, Supervisors and anyone who has influence
over a team, group or organization and/or over the development of new products, services and processes. No prior improv experience
What We Will Cover and Experience
This workshop will focus on two levels
at the same time - you as a leader and you as a creative individual. In this workshop you will use the principles, practices
and tools of improvisational theater to enhance your leadership performance and:
• Getting past the "inner
• Risk taking – the paradox of making it safe to take risks
• Learning to tolerate
"failure" and leverage mistakes productively
• Overcoming resistance; transforming blocks and barriers
• Generative thinking - going from either/or to yes and thinking
• Quick and easy storytelling
Enhancing Leadership Competencies
Improvisational skills help enhance performance and
awareness in core competencies such as:
• Presence - being fully in the moment, listening, and
• Thinking on Your feet - ability to respond confidently in the moment while under
• Real-time adapting - adapting strategy as new information and situations emerge
Inspiration - drawing forth the energy, passion, and assets in others
- new and surprising solutions to old and new situations
• Resourcefulness - recognizing and using
the unexpected as opportunity
• Resilience – bouncing back quickly after "failures"
or dead ends
• Impactfulness - engaging risk taking and spontaneous behaviors from others
• Influence - getting buy-in and support for your initiatives
• OURS thinking
- fostering team thinking in terms of "Look what WE did!"
• Taking action - apply techniques
to improve systems, products and processes
This workshop is designed and delivered by Michelle James. For more
information on using improv in organizations, visit our Quantum Leap Business Improv web page. We will create customized workshops, programs and training initiatives in-house or off-site for your organization.
We also conduct Creative Facilitation train-the-trainer improv workshops.